So I recently turned 23 and the freak out moment happened where I realized I really am a freakin’ adult (Is it too early to have a quarter-life crisis?)
I’ve always used the excuse that being 22 is a tutorial year for being an adult, so it’s okay if I still seem like a kid. Now with being 23, that “kid” frame of mind has been shot to hell and it’s time to wake up and face the shitload of responsibilities I must own up to now that I am an adult.
While I still have a new year to learn each of these, here’s 23 things that I need to know now that I’m 23.
- As cliche as it sounds, you really must learn to love yourself before loving anyone else.
- Friends will come and go, but who truly cares will still be by your side.
- You don’t have to have it altogether all the time. It’s okay to feel what you need to feel sometimes. You come first no matter what is going on in your life.
- You do end up learning who you are, BUT it takes time. Time is your best friend at this point.
- Having a healthy diet is really important, so no more late night Taco Bell runs (Okay.. maybe once a week rather than four.. but who’s truly counting?) Time to actually bond with those fruits and veggies!
- Be active! While you don’t have to necessarily get a gym membership, you should find some ways to be active for at least 30 minutes in your day. Walk around your neighborhood, do squats while you brush your teeth, dance around in your house, do anything that makes you active in some way!
- You’re never stuck in where you are in life. You always have the power and control over your life and how it’s lived.
- Don’t be afraid of change, for life is an adventure. You can’t start an adventure if you keep living in your comfort zone.
- Quit thinking you’re going to be a millionaire in the snap of a finger. You will be broke for a long time and must learn to be patient until you get that career and paycheck you always wanted.
- You don’t have an excuse of being a kid anymore. You are an adult so learn to act like one and embrace being one!
- Nobody knows what they’re doing. Everyone really is just winging it.
- Know your worth and never settle for less than what you deserve.
- Your happiness is the most important thing.
- Believe in yourself even when you have trouble with finding a light at the end of a dark tunnel.
- Haters are gonna hate, but you should never truly care about what others think of you. Do you and own it!
- It’s okay to be independent and hardworking.
- It’s not okay to let others make you feel you ask for too much in life. Be the #girlboss that you are and wave at all the nay-sayers from the top
- You don’t have to go out and party every night to have fun. While alcohol can be your best friend at times (Insert Pitbull’s “Fireball” song), you can have fun by doing simple things with friends.
- Get your shit together, before settling down and having a family. Just because everyone on Facebook seems to be getting engaged, married or pregnant, doesn’t mean you are late in life. You must learn to be proud of what you have created of your life, before feeling like it’s too late to have done anything that you wanted to do.
- It’s okay to be selfish and have “Me time.” A little R&R never hurt nobody.
- There’s more to life than social media and your phone. Look at the world, not just your phone/computer screen. Your technology might want a break too you know!
- You now understand what it means to be an adult or at least learn to fake it ’til you make it! We must take responsibility for our lives and ourselves. Even with responsibilities, we can’t be ashamed to admit that are all still obsessed with Lizzie Mcguire and catch ourselves still singing along to our childhood boy bands (#teamnsync).
- Enjoy life and not rush it.