I’m convinced that Pizza is my soulmate. It’s the one thing that can always make any bad day transform into something amazing. In fact, sometimes I like to travel to my local Whole Foods just to get my favorite pizza to make everything better.
While I know most will say that “healthy” is never the term to apply to pizza, I beg to differ! Pizza can be healthy! It’s rather simple to swap out favorites for healthier alternatives.
In today’s food for thought, I figured it would be best to share what I consider to be the healthier alternatives to Pizza faves and give you more of a reason to go and order some pizza, just make sure to make it healthy! The Food Gods are watching!
Healthy Pizza Requirements
- Whole Wheat/ Multigrain Dough
- Meats: Grilled Chicken, Turkey Sausage, Turkey Pepperoni, or Soy Chorizo
- Toppings: Veggies, Veggies and more Veggies! (My Faves: Mushrooms, Black Olives, Spinach, Avocado and Tomato slices )
- Cheese: Low-fat cheese, skim cheese, Daiya Vegan Cheese or (gasp) no cheese! You’d be surprised just how good it can actually be!
- Sauce: Fresh Tomato, Olive Oil, Hummus (Hey, don’t knock it ’til you try it!)
Feel free to comment below if you have any healthy alternatives you like to eat! The great thing about Pizza is that the sky is the limit as to what you can top on your pizza. It never hurts to be bold and try something new every time. You never know what amazing creation you can make 🙂